18th October, 2018
25th October, 2018
2nd November, 2018
Day 1 – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Day 2 – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Day 3 – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Eligible to Attend:
Registered Nurses and Health Care Attendants
Day 1 – €80.00
Day 2 – €80.00
Day 3 – €50.00
Day 1 & 2 = €120.00
(Workshops on day 1 and/or Day 2 can be booked separately – €40.00)
A three day programme to provide RGN’s and HCA’s with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of relevant national standards and core clinical skills to meet the needs of persons in residential care.
- A review of the National Quality Standards for Residential Care Settings for Older People
- Medication Management
- Person Centred Care Planning
- Behaviours that Challenge in Dementia
- Palliative Care in Residential settings
- Nutrition and the Older Person
Update on core clinical skills required in residential care.
- Catheter Care / Bowel Care
- Principles of Wound Care / Pressure Area Care
- Care of the patient with dysphagia
- PEG / Stoma Care
- Post Fall Management of the older person in Residential Care Settings
- Safeguarding the Vulnerable Adult
At the End of the Programme Participants Will:
- Identify the legal and professional requirements for persons in residential care settings as described in the HIQA National Standards, statutory regulations and relevant NMBI guidelines and standards
- Understand the guiding principles of legislation and key principles of medication management
- Have introductory knowledge of assessment and management of behaviours that challenge in dementia
- Gain an insight into the essentials of palliative care and identify the palliative care core competencies required by RGN’s and HCA’s.
- Understand the need for comprehensive assessment and the process of person centred care planning
- Gain knowledge of nutritional care in the older adult
- Participants will identify the palliative care core competencies required by Nurses when providing a palliative approach as set out by the Palliative Care Competence Framework, HSE 2014.
At the end of the optional Day 3 Workshop participants will:
- Have up to date evidence based knowledge on the clinical skills listed above
- Have the opportunity to use the equipment needed to perform the above listed skills.
Accreditation / CPD: Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) have been applied for from An Board Altranais Cnaimhseachais na hEireann (The Nurse and Midwifery Board of Ireland)