Sonas Engaging Dementia Three Day Course
Day 1: 27th September, 2019
Day 2: 08th November, 2019
Day 3: 29th November, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Eligible to Attend
Registered Nurses, Allied Health Professionals, Activity Co-ordinators, Care Assistants and others caring for people with dementia.
Sonas & SIMS Kits (for programme implementation) €100.00
This course will train learners in the use of the therapeutic Sonas programme. The Sonas programme is an evidence based multi-sensory therapeutic activity for people with moderate to severe dementia, delivered through group and individual sessions. On completion of the course, a person is certified for two years as a Sonas Licensed Practitioner (SLP) and receives an individualised SLP badge.
Course Learning Outcomes
The course takes place on three days over a 10-12 week period and includes work-based learning.
By the end of this course, the student will:
- Be familiar with the different types of dementia
- Understand the role of feelings and the senses in communication.
- Have acquired different communication strategies.
- Have acquired the skills to carry out Sonas group and individual sessions.
- Have had practical experience of delivering and evaluating the Sonas programme.
- Have had experience using the Threadgold Communication Tool (TCT)
- Know how to integrate the Sonas programme in care planning.
- Have joined a network of peers, all of whom are implementing the Sonas programme.
- Be able to use moodle, an e-learning platform for SLPs that gives the user access to resources, tutors and an SLP forum.
Accreditation/CPD: 19 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
Please note: To book onto this course contact Training Administrator, Engaging Dementia (01 260 8138), email email@example.com
People can also book online at www.engagingdementia.ie